It is important to have sufficient memory in your computer for running various processes of the operating system. No matter how careful you are, unwanted files might take up a chunk of your computer’s valuable memory space after using it for a while. This poses the risk of slowing down the performance of your computer, leaving you annoyed.
Therefore, you need to get rid of these unwanted files to make sure that there is enough free space for the processes to run smoothly. There are various methods for removing unwanted and temporary files from your Windows 7 computer. The following Windows 7 support instructions will help you cleanup Temp files from your computer.
Using Disk Cleanup Utility
- Go the Start menu located on your Windows taskbar.
- Type disk cleanup in the start menu search box, and press the Enter key.
- This will bring up the Disk Cleanup wizard. Choose the drive you wish to cleanup.
- Hit the Ok button.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete. Once the scanning is complete, you will get a list of files that you could delete.
- Choose the type of file you would like to remove and hit the Ok button.
- Select the option that says Delete Files. You will able to see a window showing the status of the deletion process.
That is how you can delete unwanted files from your Windows 7 computer using the Disk Cleanup utility.
Creating a batch file
A Windows batch file is a type of text file, which contains a series of commands for a computer's operating system. The file extension for batch file is .BAT. Using batch files you can view, access and erase the contents of the temporary files as you would do in the Command prompt by typing a specific set of commands.
- Go to the Start menu and type Notepad in the start menu search box.
- In the Notepad, you need to type cd C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Localrmdir /S /Q Temp
- Click on the option File from the main menu of the Notepad window.
- Select Save As from the file menu.
- In the filename field, type cleantemp.bat.
- Choose the location where you want to save the file.
- Click the Save button.
- Now go to the location where you saved the file.
- Double click on the same for clearing up your temporary files.
Using these two easy methods, you can remove temporary and unwanted files from your Windows 7 computer. If you need further assistance, contact the Windows 7 support team.